Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Why I Ride My Bicycle


Three reasons, really! It is good for my health, it is economical, and it is the only sensible thing to do if one takes the long view. Which of these I consider most important depends on which day you ask me.

When I retired from my last paying job three years ago, I realized that if I wanted to maintain my health I would need to discipline myself in terms of exercise. Necessary exercise could take the form of a regular workout at a gym, or on some exercise equipment in my basement. It could take the form of a disciplined walk or jog every day, but I knew from experience, that I do not take to this kind of discipline well. As I thought about my options, I realized that the most pleasant discipline for me would be to deliberately limit my options with respect to getting around Steinbach.  I resolved that I would not use motorized transport to get myself between points within Steinbach and environs.

For the most part, I have stuck with my resolve. I am grateful that my health allows me to cycle. I do need a car to carry goods from time to time, but the bike trailer I now have handles most of the things I need to carry. Winter riding is a challenge, but that challenge is not insurmountable. Studded tires reduce wipeouts, and appropriate clothing protects me from the weather. At minus thirty, properly dressed, I arrive at my destination warmer than if I had ridden in a car.

Was I not committed to cycling, Mary and I would need an additional vehicle. According to a recent Globe and Mail article, car ownership in Canada costs at least $6,000 annually, in some cases as much as $13,000. So because of my cycling habit, we can manage with $6,000 less pension income.

Then there is the long view. What do we expect our city to look like in 20 years, in 30 years or 50 years? Will we still be dependant on the gasoline-powered automobile? I do not think so. The current gasoline dominated era will end soon. When that happens, a sprawling city of large parking lots and wide streets will not be a welcoming city.

Some people place their hope in plug-in vehicles. But plug-in vehicles are no more energy efficient than gasoline powered vehicles. They merely substitute hydro energy for oil energy.

Today, if I ride my car from my house to the Clearspring Mall, I consume more than a million calories. If I walk that same distance, I consume 185 calories. If I cycle, I also consume 185 calories, but cover the distance in one-third the time.

If we want our city to survive into the future, we need a city built around energy efficiency, not around the squandering of energy. The planet will give us no choice. By riding my bike, I am sending a signal, however small, to whoever will listen, that we need to, much more consciously, move towards energy efficiency in our city.

Cycling is one expression of voluntary simplicity. Join us at the Eastman Educational Centre November 24 for a discussion of voluntary simplicity with Val Hiebert, sociology prof at Providence. 

Eric Rempel

No comments:

Post a Comment